Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Details, part 1

Thanks for the compliments. I'm still catching myself staring at the sparkly on my hand when I should be doing something more productive, like working. What is it about things like diamonds that turn normally sane women into giggly airheads?

Here's the (quick) story. I met R through an online personal ad back in April of 2000. I saw his ad, thought he sounded incredibly cool, and since he was 2500 miles away it seemed like a relatively safe thing to write to him. One email led to another, which led to phone calls, which led to me flying down to Austin to meet him a mere 18 days after we'd first made contact.*

We hit it off. Four months later I moved down here. New apartment, new job, new car (because my old Maine car had no a/c). I lasted a year, I was so homesick and lonely. I went back to Maine for 4 months and decided to try again. Came back down here for ANOTHER year, but it still didn't feel right. (Him moving to Maine at that time wasn't a plausible idea, because he owns a business here. Maybe someday.)

I moved back to Maine for a year and a half, but during all this never left contact with R. We met in New York in March of 2004 for a weekend and "rekindled". My brother was getting married in September, so after the wedding** I once again drove down here. This time it stuck. It's been two years and I'm doing just fine, thank you.

Next entry- the proposal.

*What an idiot! I told NOBODY where I was going, out of embarrassment. Just flew away over a long weekend and left a note in my apartment with his name, address and phone number in case I vanished and the police needed to find me. If any child of mine ever pulled that kind of crap, I'd kill her.

**Okay, not RIGHT after the wedding... I had to stay in New England until the end of the World Series. Damn, if that wasn't the BEST TIME EVER. Go, Sox.

1 Comments:

At 1/06/2007 06:39:00 AM, Blogger julia said...

You're from Maine?? Did I know that? AND you're a Red Sox fan? That really was the best year. It still makes me grin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home